The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is the biggest student associations in Europe. It was born on the 16th October 1989 and legally registered in 1990 for supporting and developing student exchange.
We are present in more than 430 Higher Education Institutions from 36 countries. The network is constantly developing and expanding. We have around 13.500 active members that are in many sections supported by so called buddies mainly taking care of international students. Thus, ESN involves around 29.000 young people offering its services to around 180.000 international students every year.
ESN is working in Higher Education (HE):
· offering services to 180.000 students
· 13.500 active members (29.000 with the buddies included)
· mainly on a volunteer basis
· with an average annual growth rate of 12% since 2005
ESN works for the creation of a more mobile and flexible education environment by supporting and developing the student exchange from different levels, and providing an intercultural experience also to those students who cannot access a period abroad ("internationalisation at home").
Aims & Principles
In synthesis, ESN:
· works in the interest of international students
· works to improve the social and practical integration of international students
· represents the needs and rights of international students on the local, national, and international level
· provides relevant information about mobility programmes
· motivates students to study abroad
· works with the reintegration of homecoming students
· contributes to the improvement and accessibility of student mobility
· cares about its members
· values volunteering and active citizenship